Windows Disaster Recovery Windows Disaster Preparedness
- Download Speccy - http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/
- Operating System
- Copy version and Serial Number
- Paste into an email to yourself. Save the email (easy if your
email is in the cloud)
- Print the email and physically save. (Compare to the COA, if any, and tape to the bottom of your computer/
- Insert USB stick
- Menu > Settings > Update & security
- Turn on "Automatically back up my files"
- More options
- Back up now
- Wait until "Cancel" changes to "Back up now"
- At end of day turn "Automatically back up my files" off
- Eject USB stick
- Save the stick off premise
- Obtain a Windows 10 Pro Serial number. https://www.keystoreonline.com/ ($30)
- If you are not running Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise). Check
your Speccy results.
- Insert a separate USB stick (min 4GB).
- Download the MediaCreationTool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
- Run the tool and select Create installation media
- Recovery toolkit
- Windows 10 Pro serial number
- back up USB stick
- installation USB stick
- If you are running Windows 10 Home
- Start > Settings > Update and security > Activation > Change product key
- Enter your Windows 10 Pro serial number
- If you are running an earlier version of Windows
- You are going to need one more USB stick during the installation (16GB or larger)
- insert the installation USB stick
- restart the computer, you may need to modify your BIOS boot settings to boot from USB
- follow the onscreen instructions
- after the installation is complete
- check your files, you may need to use your back up USB stick
- locate the "Type here to search" box
- enter file history
- click the "gear" icon in the upper right
- choose "Restore"
- If "Replace or skip files" indicates a large number of duplicate names, the installation process already recovered your data